Sometimes I think the Left really lacks self-awareness of how the news they control presents to people who don’t support them. The headlines in the last ten days have been dominated by two things: Cypriot capital controls, and homosexual marriage before the Supreme Court. The Media Directorate might actually think these things are about, respectively, orderly stabilization of the Eurozone and the heroic advance of Freedom. That’s not what they look like to Rhodies.
The big-picture narrative of Cypriot capital controls the Media Directorate isn’t telling you very clearly is this:
- The Euro as a common currency is the idée fixe of the European left’s supranational socialist dream.
- If a nation leaves the Euro, the Dream Will Die (notwithstanding Edward Kennedy’s 1980 Democratic National Convention Speech).
- If a nation’s banking sector implodes, it will have to leave the Euro.
- The only way to prevent total banking sector implosion in Cyprus is a combination of bailouts, capital controls, and asset confiscation.
- If shutting down the free flow of goods, services, and capital and taking private property is required to prop up the Big Government Dream, Europe’s Big Government says: so be it, we’ll do what we have to do.
The big-picture narrative of homosexual marriage before the Supreme Court this Holy Week that the Media Directorate isn’t telling you at all is this: Read the rest of this entry »